I bought a new Mac (finally) about two month back. It is a Macbook Pro with 13” with which I use a Dell 20” external monitor. I would say that I have not been dissappointed.
Having said that I know a new Mac user can get frustrated easily specially when they are shifting over from using a Windows based PC. The frustration levels would be different for different users as that would depend on the number of tasks you typically do not on your Mac. It does become cumbersome as the “dog (you) has to be taught new tricks”. For me though learning new tricks has been the fun part. At times Struggling with completing tasks on my Mac at times does make me feel young as I discover new things.
I have been busy setting up the new business and therefore have not had the time to experiment with stuff on the mac.Now that I have some time (and after kicking myself in the butt and telling myself that now you have the dream machine but you are not experimenting on it) I have been trying to trying to get things done efficiently on the Mac.
I have been using Reddit to find some information. Reddit is an excellent source where the human race shares thoughts, information and people are open to giving advice to fellow humans. If you are not using Reddit on a regular basis I highly recommend it.
For the Mac information I have been using the Mac, Apple, Macapps and other similar sub reddit. I was particularly looking for software that I can use specially for web development and iOS development. Though I would not call myself an iOS developer but I have dabbled in it but I do intend to master it in the next few months. I thought it would be good to share the list of recommended software for new Mac users that I have been able to generate from the various subreddits.
Mac software for beginners
Thanks to all reddit users who have indirectly contributed to the list. I’m indebited to them.
- Homebrew – The missing package manage for OS. A must install for web developers and software developers. Free.
- Growl – The ultimate notification system for OS X
- Shift It – Managing windows size and position on Ma. Free
- Adium – Multi platform chat application for Mac which is free.
- Quicksilver – Productivity app for Mac though Spotlight does a great job now. Quicksilver is available for free.
- MusicBrainz Picard– Automatic Music tagging made easy, Picard is free for download.
- Transmission – A lightweight torrent application for Mac. Transmission is free for download.
- Carbon Copy Cloner – Backup your Mac smartly (30 day trial – not free anymore)
- BetterTouchTool– Get more from your trackpad and mouse when using a Mac.
- Appcleaner – A Mac uninstaller which is free.
- Littleicon – Customize the icons on your Mac for free with Littleton.
- Cyberduck – Powerful FTP client with cloud storage management which is surprizingly free.
- Textmate – The missing editor for Mac
- SequelPro – Free MYSQL database management software for Mac.
- Fluid app – Create any website into an app on your Mac for free.
- Skitch – Free screenshot software for Mac.
- USBoverdrive – Software to manage USB and bluetooth devices on Mac
All the apps for Mac that have been suggested on Reddit cannot be added to a single post as the blog post will turn out to be mighty lengthy. Therefore I have included ones that I feel are useful for someone like me. The best way to show appreciation for this post is to suggest apps that you find useful on your Mac. Perhaps then I can come out with a second part of this post. Till that time I hope you try some of the apps listed above and try them out!
If you have any thing to say catch me on Twitter or Facebook.